Mounting Watercolor Paper to a Panel

Posted by on Feb 16, 2015 in Blog | 41 Comments

For the last few months, I’ve experimented with mounting watercolor paper to a cradled wood panel for my work. The idea came from my friend and fellow artist, JAW Cooper. She wrote a tutorial on her own blog about this process. I’ve since adjusted just a few things for my own purposes, so I thought I’d document my own process. This is the fourth panel I’ve created in this manner and the first that I feel pretty good about, including the varnishing technique, which can get very tricky.

Here’s what you’ll need (follow links for product information):

If you’d rather watch a video of this method, check out my “Process and Tutorials in Watercolor” video!

122

Step One: Tape the edge of your board with painter’s tape and use the squeegee to press it as firmly to the edge as possible. This is Β not only to keep the gesso and matte medium off the edges, but you also don’t want your water media (as you’re painting) to seep over and into the panel’s edges.

123

Step two: Apply the gesso to the surface with a foam brush. This is to create a barrier between the paper and the wood, since over time the acid in the wood will seep into the paper if you don’t protect it. The matte medium might do a well enough job, but I’m not sure of this, so gesso is your best bet for protecting the underside of the paper from the wood’s acid. One coat is probably enough.

124 125

Step three: Take your 120 grit sandpaper (or something similar) and give the gesso’s surface a once-over. You just want to even out the surface enough that there won’t be any noticeable bumps when you press the paper later.

128

Step four: If you haven’t already, trace your surface over your paper (make sure that gesso is dry!), and then cut around it, leaving about 1″ of space all around. Set that paper aside. Also, make sure you have a flat surface ready with paper towels, like below.

129 131

Step five: It’s really important that you work very quickly here, since the matte medium dries pretty quickly. Spread out a hefty dollop of the medium over your gessoed surface with a large brush. Leave a little extra at the edges. Then, line up the panel over your paper that’s been set aside. Gently press it down. For this 14″ x 18″ piece, this step took about a minute. Any longer, and I would’ve needed to reapply the medium.

133 135

Step six: Β Flip the panel back over with the paper at the top. Take your brayer and, starting in the middle and working to each edge, roll it over the paper with as much pressure as you can muster. The goal is to have as few bubbles under the paper as possible to make sure the medium is spread out evenly underneath.

134

Step seven: Put the panel paper side down over the paper towels and pile weighted objects over it. Try to evenly distribute the weight if possible, too. Turns out my college art history books are pretty useful here! I’ve also got a smaller panel (12″ x 16″) on the inside to help distribute the weight. Leave it overnight, or for at least a few hours.

136

Step eight: After the matte medium has fully dried and adhered to the paper, remove your weights. You’ll now need to cut away the excess paper. I’m using an x-acto knife with a fresh blade to cut into the edges. If you’re not confident with your abilities here, using a stiff ruler as a barrier between the panel and the knife will help you get a more precise cut that can later be sanded away.

149 150

Step nine: Using your 600 grit sandpaper, sand DOWN at an angle to remove any excess paper and get a cleaner edge. If you sand upwards, you’ll risk pulling the paper away from the panel. After this, you’re ready to paint! DON’T remove the tape yet, though!

151 152

Step ten: Once your painting is complete, it’s time to varnish and prepare the panel for hanging. After all, the surface needs protection too! Everyone has different methods for varnishing water media paintings – this is one I’ve worked on for years and only recently settled on what I do now. You’ll need acrylic spray varnish to start. The spray varnish is important since brushing on varnish at this stage will only smear your watercolor work. (If you’ve painted with acrylic, you can use brush-on varnish). I typically do 2-3 coats allowing for ample drying time in between each coat. I prefer to use GLOSS varnish since matte varnish reduces the brilliance of any color I’ve used. However, if you’re using gouache or have used thickly applied watercolor, the gloss will make those parts shine and not others. Because that was the case here, I then used a brush on satin finish acrylic varnish. I did about 5-6 coats, applying alternately in vertical and horizontal coats. Once you’re happy with the finish, you can remove the painter’s tape!

IMG_7439 IMG_7433

Step eleven:

To prepare the panel for hanging, I’ve used to hook eye screws on the inside of the panel, wrapped framer’s wire, and added four felt stickies. I’ve also added the information about the painting in the back for archival purposes.

IMG_7434

Step twelve: Hang it up and give yourself a high five!

IMG_7438 IMG_7435

41 Comments

1. Hanan
    February 17, 2015

I love this idea! Do you find it to be easier to paint on this surface in comparison to your other method? Are you going to do a YouTube video of the process as well? Absolutely love your work πŸ™‚

• admin
      February 17, 2015

The surface is practically the same, though I’ve noticed that the watercolor takes just a little bit longer to dry than it did on my stretched panels, since the stretched panels didn’t have a surface directly beneath it. I’m not currently planning on a youtube video tutorial (I think this one is pretty thorough), but I will have a tutorial as a part of my DVD coming up, hopefully in the next couple of months.

• Hanan
        February 17, 2015

Thank you for responding!! Yes this is very thorough! I just always get things better when watching it done (just the way my brain works I guess :/) lol. Can’t wait for your DVD, how exciting! Best of luck to you and thanks again. ~ @hanan_draws_stuff πŸ™‚

2. Elissa Baltzer
    February 18, 2015

Thanks a lot for creating this how to post Kelly, I’ve been meaning to try to figure out how to do this for a while and haven’t had the time. The way you’ve presented this technique makes it really accessible and easy to understand! I’m looking forward to trying it. Your work is really beautiful, by the way.

3. Nyela
    February 18, 2015

Did you sketch out your composition before of after you mounted the paper to a panel? Just curious.

• admin
      February 18, 2015

I sketch it out after I’ve attached it to the panel, just because I do a wash before sketching and if I did a wash before mounting the paper, it’d be harder to get it flat.

4. Marti
    May 28, 2015

Love your work.
    Thanks for this post
    Marti

5. Barbara
    August 1, 2015

So, can I do this with an allready finished piece? I have a presentation for college and I didn’t think on this method to show my work. Great tutorial by the way! Sorry mi poor english!

6. Drs
    December 7, 2015

Great method – Wouldn’t the glue between the paper and the wood be enough to prevent acid seeping through as glue is a solid, impermeable barrier?

7. Carmen
    January 29, 2016

This is so helpful – thank you. Just discovered you via instagram and am loving reading your blog.

8. Flynn Gentry-Taylor
    March 12, 2016

Wondering if this method can be put in juried competition? Loved it..

9. Peter von zur Muehlen
    April 20, 2016

I have been wanting to attempt something like this for quite a while. Nice tutorial. I wonder how much harder it would be for a much larger panel/piece of paper. Say, something like 5 by 5 feet or bigger.

• admin
      January 11, 2017

I would get several people to help you in the process!

10. Ellie
    May 3, 2016

I really want to try this but I’m afraid of messing up and wanting to start fresh – have you ever tried to remove watercolor paper from the panel or mount a new price of watercolor paper on top of it all? I guess I need to feel like there’s a backup plan πŸ˜‰

• Rachel
      September 24, 2016

This is in reply to Ellie-
      I know it feels bad to waste paper because of the expense, but we have all had paintings go south and be beyond saving. With this method as with most things, you have to break at least one egg to make an omelet. So it may take losing a sheet of watercolor paper and an attempt to get it right. I would suggest buying an imperial sheet of 90lb cotton Arches cold-press watercolor paper( there $7.50 at my local art supply shop) or something similar and using that as your practice piece of paper to mount. The weight will give you a basic idea of what it will be like to mount a 140lb piece to the frame without costing you quite as much as the 140 or 300 lb version. 😊

11. Erica Lyn Schmidt
    May 5, 2016

I use mixed media, and decided that mounting my paper to a rigid support would be smart to help prevent my top oil layer from cracking over the acrylic (and watercolor) layers. I thought I would have to search the dregs of the internet to find out how to do this, but your post popped up right away and I’m thrilled. Thanks so much for making this information available for Google-Fu-ers like me! πŸ™‚

12. Karen P
    June 24, 2016

Hi, Thanks so much for your directions. A great alternative to traditional framing. Have you ever mounted a finished painting this way. I was wondering if it would work? Thanks again.

• admin
      January 11, 2017

I haven’t mounted a finished painting, but I have mounted prints before. The trickiest part is in the cutting and sanding, because you risk tearing and exposing unpainted areas in the process. If you do that, I’d just paint an extra 1/2″ so you have some wiggle room.

13. Amber Rogers
    July 29, 2016

Could you use this technique with artboard watercolor paper? I’ve been looking for different ways to frame water colors and this one most attracted me. Just wondered if you’ve mounted thicker paper like that?

• admin
      January 11, 2017

Like illustration board? I think it’s possible, just plan to add a LOT of weight in the drying process.

14. Meriem Elbar
    August 12, 2016

Hi kelly ! thank you for sharing this original idea and i’ll be trying it as soon as possible … and i really loved your masterpiece <3 … keep going !

15. HASIBUSH SHAHEED
    October 4, 2016

I would like thank you million times as I won first prize in a open live painting contest at Cavan, Ontario where artists were permitted only either gallery canvas or wooden panel. You rock!

16. Aimee
    November 11, 2016

Hi do you stretch the paper first? I paint portraits and figures so I don’t tend to stretch the paper first as its doesn’t buckle too much but I’d love to try mounting them first and wonder if the paper needs to be ore stretched?

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation it’s very useful and easy to follow.

• admin
      January 11, 2017

Nope, I don’t stretch the paper first. I don’t think it’s necessary, but it couldn’t hurt!

17. Chris Gupit
    January 16, 2017

Thank you for the tip! Will this technique work with glueing drawing paper to wood? Thanks for any help.

• admin
      February 27, 2017

I think as long as the drawing paper is this enough, it shouldn’t be an issue. But if it’s too thin, the matte medium will seep through.

18. Joe
    February 24, 2017

Great technique. Can this technique to mount be used with a watercolor already painted on WC paper?

• admin
      February 27, 2017

I don’t recommend that.

• Melinda Silver
        May 21, 2017

Why not? I’ve used this method several times to mount a finished watercolor piece to a panel, and I’ve had wonderful success. I’ve used Ampersand panels, however. Would that make a difference?

• Kelly McKernan
          May 21, 2017

The panel shouldn’t make any difference. I don’t recommend doing this with finished paintings because the cutting and sanding process after adhering the paper to the panel runs too much risk of damaging a completed painting. It’s much, much safer to mount paper *before* painting. Plus, you don’t have to worry about the paper buckling while you paint, whereas mounting a completed piece that’s likely warped can be challenging.

• Erica Lyn Schmidt
            May 21, 2017

I would have to agree with Kelly here–I mounted two large paintings my husband had completed and it was like performing brain surgery. I also had to touch up the edges with watercolor. It’s definitely way easier to do it first.

19. Monique
    February 27, 2017

Hi!
    Wow, that is such a beautifully detailed blog! Thanks so much, explained and answered pretty much everything. I just wanted to clarify, did you use watercolour on the paper before you adhered it to the wood? Or do you adhere the paper first then work directly on the paper/board?

I plan to mount paper to board but tossing up between gouache or screen printing or perhaps both mediums. I’m afraid the paper would ripple too much if I don’t laminate it onto the wood first but then not sure if it would dry funny if the paper cannot breathe underneath. What would you suggest?

• admin
      February 27, 2017

Nope, no watercolor on the paper before it’s mounted on the board. The paper is first, then the watercolor. It shouldn’t dry funny as long as you’re following this method. The matte medium takes care of any of those issues. πŸ™‚

20. Jakeswatercolorart
    April 11, 2017

Have you tried it on cold press paper? & if so what were the results? Thank you in advance for your answer.

21. Jakeswatercolorart
    April 11, 2017

Have you tried it on cold pressed paper and if so what were the results? Like a Arches CP 140lbs…thank you in advance for your answer.

• Kelly McKernan
      May 21, 2017

I haven’t tried this with CP, but you should get the same results.

22. Monica
    April 21, 2017

I have acrylic paintings on watercolor paper. Can I use this method ? The gallery where I show my work wants framed or 1 1/2 in canvas/boards and I wondered if I could do this instead of framing. Have you ever mounted paintings onto boards once a painting is done?

• Kelly McKernan
      May 21, 2017

Yep, you should be able to do so, but you may want to check with the gallery first to be sure that they’ll accept this method.

23. Nick Sheehy
    May 26, 2017

Hey Kelly. Thanks so much for sharing this great tutorial. I’m now on to my 10th or 11th panel using this method (saving a few hundred dollars/pounds in framing).

I was getting the occasional paper lift from the board, so I’ve decided to skip Step #3, and leave the gesso with more tooth for the medium & paper to adhere to (a foam brush keeps the gesso application fairly even and free of bumps).

Also, the Golden varnish directions say to leave at least 20 minutes between coats. But I think it’s best to leave as long as possible to allow the layers to cure to avoid the additional coats soaking into the paper or the brush-on varnish reactivating lower layers. (I’m no varnish expert)

24. Stephane lauzon
    May 27, 2017

Hi Kelly
    I tried your method, I tried to paint as fast as I could with the gel medium and placed my paper. But I got a couple of bubble after the drying time… πŸ™ I really don’t know how to repare or reglue it to the panel.

Do you have a trick to save my painting ?

Or if I have to redo every thing, is there a trick to peel off the paper from the panel ?

I really need your help because I have a show in 12 days, i’m really stressed about redoing everything or finding a new framing…

Thanks a lot !!

25. Wendy Mould
    June 22, 2017

Hi Kelly,
    This was a great blog, thank you. I am blogging about watercolour and block art, I referenced you as a great source of information. Hope that gives you some new traffic as I really appreciated your wonderful description.
    Wendy